In Florissant, Missouri, it is unlawful to keep, harbor, own, or possess any pit bull, except pit bulls licensed on the effective date are allowed. Such dogs are subject to certain requirements, such as owners taking identifying photographs, keeping the dog properly confined and/or secured, posting a "Beware of Dog--Pit Bull" sign, keeping $100,000 liability insurance, and sterilizing the dog. A violation may result in seizure and impoundment of the dog.
SECTION 205.395: REGULATION OF PIT BULL DOGS
A. Unlawful To Keep--Exception. It shall be unlawful to keep, harbor, own, or in any way possess, within the corporate limits of the City of Florissant, Missouri, any pit bull, except that pit bull dogs properly licensed by the City and residing in the City on the effective date of this Section (12-16-05), may continue to be kept within the City, subject to the standards and requirements herein set forth.
B. Definition. Pit bull dog is defined to mean:
1. Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
2. The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
3. The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
4. Any mixed breed of dog which contains as an element of its breeding the breed of Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or American pit bull terrier, as to be identifiable as partially of the breed of Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or American pit bull terrier.
5. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, and other breeds commonly known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs, or pit bull terriers, or a combination of any of these breeds.
C. Keeping Of Licensed Pit Bull Dogs. For all pit bull dogs that are properly licensed by the City on the effective date of this Section (12-16-05), such pit bull dogs may be kept in the City subject to the following limitations, requirements, and conditions:
1. Owners of properly licensed pit bull dogs residing in the City of Florissant must provide two (2) color pictures taken from each side of the pit bull dog within thirty (30) days of the effective date (12-16-05) of this Section.
2. No person shall permit a pit bull dog to go off the owner's property. No person shall permit a pit bull dog to be kept on a chain, rope, or other type of leash on the owner's property unless they are in physical control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees, posts, buildings, etc. In addition, all pit bull dogs on a leash off the owner's property must be muzzled by a muzzling device sufficient to prevent the dog from biting persons or other animals.
3. While on the owner's property, a pit bull dog must be securely confined indoors or in the owner's fenced back yard.
4. No pit bull dogs may be kept on a porch, patio, or in any part of a house or structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on it own volition. In addition, no such animal may be kept in a house or structure when the windows are open or when screen windows or screen doors are the only obstacle preventing the dog from exiting the structure.
5. All owners, keepers, or harborers of pit bull dogs within the City shall within thirty (30) days of the effective date of this Section (12-16-05), display in a prominent place on their premises a sign easily readable by the public using the words "Beware of Dog--Pit Bull". In addition, a similar sign is required to be posted on the enclosure or pen of such animal.
6. All owners, keepers, or harborers of pit bull dogs must within thirty (30) days of the effective date of this Section (12-16-05), provide proof to the City Code Enforcement Director of public liability insurance in a single incident amount of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00) for bodily injury to or death of any person(s) or for damage to property owned by any person(s) which may result from the ownership, keeping, or maintaining of such animal. Such insurance policy shall provide that no cancellation of the policy will be made unless the thirty (30) days written notice is first given to the Code Enforcement Director. An effective insurance policy with the coverage and in the amounts specified herein must be maintained by the owner, keeper, or harborer at all times.
7. All owners, keepers, or harborers of pit bull dogs must, within ten (10) days of any events listed below, report the following information in writing to the City Health Department:
a. The removal from the City or death of a pit bull dog;
b. The birth of offspring of a pit bull dog; and
c. The new address of a pit bull dog owner should the owner move from one address within the corporate City limits to another address within the corporate City limits.
8. No person shall give/sell, barter, or in any other way dispose of a pit bull dog registered with the City to any person within the City unless the recipient person resides permanently in the same household and on the same premises as the registered owner of such dog; provided that the registered owner of a pit bull dog may otherwise dispose of a pit bull or the offspring of such dog to persons who do not reside within the City.
9. All offspring born of pit bull dogs registered with the City must be removed from the City within eight (8) weeks of the birth of such animal.
10. The raising and selling of pit bull offspring will not be licensed or permitted by the City of Florissant.
11. If there is a question as to the breed of a dog it shall be the dog owner's responsibility to obtain an affidavit from a licensed veterinarian attesting to the breed of the dog.
12. All owners, keepers and harborers of pit bull dogs within the City limits shall have pit bull dogs either spayed or neutered and micro chipped within thirty (30) days of this Section (12-16-05) and provide proof and documentation to the Health Department.
13. If any pit bull dog within the City shall escape the home or property of the owner, then said owner shall be required to house such dog in a locked pen or structure suitable to prevent the entry of young children and designed to prevent the animal from escaping.
D. Violations And Penalties.
1. It shall be unlawful for the owner, keeper, or harborer of a pit bull dog registered with the City to fail to comply with the requirements and conditions set forth in this Section. Any dog found to be in violation of this Section shall be subject to immediate seizure and impoundment for the time necessary for the owner or keeper to show compliance with this Section and the owner shall be responsible for all kennel fees for impoundment.
2. Any person violating or permitting the violation of any provision of this Section shall upon conviction in Municipal Court, be subject to the penalties prescribed under Section 100.080 of this Code. Each day that a violation of this Section continues shall be deemed as a separate offense.
(Ord. No. 7240 §1, 12-16-05)