In 2006, Michigan voters were presented with Proposal 3 that would have legalized the hunting of mourning doves by adding the species to the state game list. The measure was defeated by a 69 to 31 percent vote.
PROPOSAL 06-3. REFERENDUM ON LEGISLATION. A referendum on Public Act 160 of 2004 – an Act to allow the establishment of a hunting season for mourning doves. (Proposal provided under a referendum petition filed with the Secretary of State on March 28, 2005.)
The following is the language of Public Act 160 of 2004. Words deleted from existing law under Public Act 160 of 2004 are crossed out; words added to existing law under Public Act 160 of 2004 are in capital letters.
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:
Sec. 40103. (1) “Game” means any of the following animals but does not include privately owned cervidae species located on a registered cervidae livestock facility as that term is defined in the privately owned cervidae producers marketing act:
(m) Florida gallinule.
(q) Hungarian partridge.
(u) MOURNING DOVE.
(v) (u) Muskrat.
(w) (v) Opossum.
(x) (w) Otter.
(y) (x) Pheasant.
(z) (y) Quail.
(aa) (z) Rabbit.
(bb) (aa) Raccoon.
(cc) (bb) Ruffed grouse.
(dd) (cc) Sharptailed grouse.
(ee) (dd) Skunk.
(ff) (ee) Snipe.
(gg) (ff) Sora rail.
(hh) (gg) Squirrel.
(ii) (hh) Weasel.
(jj) (ii) Wild turkey.
(kk) (jj) Woodchuck.
(ll) (kk) Woodcock.
(mm) (ll) Virginia rail.
(2) “Interim order of the department” means an order of the department issued under section 40108.
(3) “Kind” means an animal's sex, age, or physical characteristics.
(4) “Normal agricultural practices” means generally accepted agricultural and management practices as defined by the commission of agriculture.
(5) “Open season” means the dates during which game may be legally taken.
(6) “Parts” means any or all portions of an animal, including the skin, plumage, hide, fur, entire body, or egg of an animal.
(7) “Protected” or "protected animal" means an animal or kind of animal that is designated by the department as an animal that shall not be taken.
(8) “Residence” means a permanent building serving as a temporary or permanent home. Residence may include a cottage, cabin, or mobile home, but does not include a structure designed primarily for taking game, a tree blind, a tent, a recreational or other vehicle, or a camper.
SEC. 40110A. (1) THE LEGISLATURE HEREBY AUTHORIZES THE ESTABLISHMENT OF
THE FIRST OPEN SEASON FOR MOURNING DOVES. THE COMMISSION MAY ISSUE ORDERS
PERTAINING TO MOURNING DOVES FOR EACH OF THE PURPOSES LISTED IN SECTION
40113A, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ORDERS ESTABLISHING THE FIRST OPEN
SEASON FOR MOURNING DOVES.
(2) A PERSON SHALL NOT HUNT MOURNING DOVES UNLESS, IN ADDITION TO THE
SMALL GAME LICENSE REQUIRED BY SECTION 43523, THE PERSON HAS A CURRENT
MOURNING DOVE STAMP. THE FORMAT OF THE MOURNING DOVE STAMP SHALL BE
PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT. THE FEE FOR A MOURNING DOVE STAMP IS $2.00.
(3) THE DEPARTMENT SHALL TRANSMIT MONEY RECEIVED FROM THE SALE OF
MOURNING DOVE STAMPS TO THE STATE TREASURER. THE STATE TREASURER SHALL
DEPOSIT THE MONEY AS FOLLOWS:
(A) FIFTY PERCENT IN THE GAME AND FISH PROTECTION FUND CREATED IN
(B) FIFTY PERCENT IN THE NONGAME FISH AND WILDLIFE TRUST FUND CREATED IN
(4) IN THE ANNUAL HUNTING GUIDE AVAILABLE FROM PERSONS AUTHORIZED TO
SELL LICENSES UNDER PART 435, THE DEPARTMENT SHALL INCLUDE INFORMATION ON
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
(A) HOW HUNTERS CAN DISTINGUISH MOURNING DOVES FROM OTHER BIRDS.
(B) MANAGEMENT PRACTICES FOR THE PROPAGATION OF MOURNING DOVES.
(C) HOW MOURNING DOVE HUNTING IS CONDUCTED ETHICALLY, LAWFULLY, AND
(D) SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES MOURNING DOVE HUNTING OFFERS TO YOUTH, THE
ELDERLY, AND THE DISABLED.
The following is the official ballot wording:
A REFERENDUM ON PUBLIC ACT 160 OF 2004 – AN ACT TO ALLOW THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A HUNTING SEASON FOR MOURNING DOVES
Public Act 160 of 2004 would:
• Authorize the Natural Resources Commission to establish a hunting season for mourning doves.
• Require a mourning dove hunter to have a small game license and a $2.00 mourning dove stamp.
• Stipulate that revenue from the stamp must be split evenly between the Game and Fish Protection Fund and the Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund.
• Require the Department of Natural Resources to address responsible mourning dove hunting; management practices for the propagation of mourning doves; and participation in mourning dove hunting by youth, the elderly and the disabled in the Department’s annual hunting guide.
Should this law be approved?