Application of section
(a) This section does not apply to:
(1) an animal welfare organization or animal control unit displaying dogs or cats for adoption or the adoption of dogs or cats from an animal welfare organization or animal control unit; or
(2) a dog breeder and a specific individual purchaser conducting a prearranged sale of a dog if the location of the prearranged sale is not at a regularly scheduled or recurring event.
(b) A person may not offer for sale, sell, offer to transfer, transfer, barter, trade, or auction a dog or cat at any public place, including:
(1) a street;
(2) a highway;
(3) a public right-of-way;
(4) a public parking lot;
(5) a carnival;
(6) a boardwalk;
(7) a swap meet;
(8) a fair; or
(9) a flea market.
(c) An animal control officer under the jurisdiction of the State or a local governing body and an officer of a society or association, incorporated under the laws of the State for the prevention of cruelty to animals, authorized to make arrests under § 10-609 of the Criminal Law Article may enforce subsection (b) of this section.
(d) A person who violates this section is subject to:
(1) for a first violation, a civil penalty not exceeding $500;
(2) for a second violation, a civil penalty not exceeding $1,000; and
(3) for a third or subsequent violation, a civil penalty not exceeding $1,500.
Added by Acts 2016, c. 572, § 1, eff. June 1, 2016; Acts 2016, c. 573, § 1, eff. June 1, 2016.