Location of traps
(a) A person, while trapping or attempting to trap animals, may not place, set, maintain, or operate any snares, body-gripping, or leghold traps within 150 yards of a permanent human residence.
Scope of section
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) State and federal wetlands;
(2) Private wetlands as designated by the Department;
(3) Land which qualifies for agricultural assessments, as provided under § 8-209 of the Tax-Property Article, and timberland and lands used for reforestation;
(4) Except in Howard and Harford counties, owners and lessees of any privately owned land; and
(5) Owners and lessees of any privately owned land in Howard and Harford counties as long as a trap described in subsection (a) of this section is not within 150 yards of the permanent residence of another person.
(c) This section does not apply to the use of body-gripping traps with a jaw spread of less than 6 inches that are placed, maintained, and operated completely submerged in water.
(d) This section does not apply to the use of snap-type traps used to catch rats and mice.
Added by Acts 1978, c. 613. Amended by Acts 1980, c. 656; Acts 1980, c. 712, § 2; Acts 1985, c. 480, § 1; Acts 1990, c. 6, § 2.