581.1. Repealed by Acts 2003 (80 G.a.) Ch. 82, § 21
581.2a. Lien Created
581.3. Perfecting the Lien—Filing Requirements
581.1. Repealed by Acts 2003 (80 G.A.) ch. 82, § 21
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Livestock” means an animal belonging to the bovine, caprine, equine, ovine, or porcine species, ostriches, rheas, emus, poultry, or fish or shellfish.
2. “Veterinarian” means a person who practices veterinary medicine under a valid license or temporary permit as provided in chapter 169.
3. “Veterinarian's lien” or “lien” means a veterinarian's lien created under section 581.2A.
Added by Acts 2003 (80 G.A.) ch. 82, § 15.
Except as provided in this section, section 554.9322 shall govern the priority of a veterinarian's lien that is effective or perfected as provided in section 581.3.
1. A veterinarian's lien that is effective but not perfected under section 581.3 shall have priority as provided in section 554.9322.
2. a. A veterinarian's lien that is perfected under section 581.3 shall have priority over any conflicting security interest or lien in livestock treated by a veterinarian, regardless of when such security interest or lien is perfected.
b. Notwithstanding paragraph “a”, a veterinarian's lien shall not be superior to a court-ordered lien provided in section 717.4, if such lien is perfected as an agricultural lien.
Amended by Acts 2003 (80 G.A.) ch. 82, § 16; Acts 2011 (84 G.A.) ch. 81, S.F. 478, § 4.
A veterinarian shall have an agricultural lien as provided in section 554.9102 for the actual and reasonable value of treating livestock, including the cost of any product used and the actual and reasonable value of any professional service rendered by the veterinarian. The veterinarian is a secured party and the owner of the livestock is a debtor for purposes of chapter 554, article 9. The lien applies to the livestock treated by the veterinarian.
Added by Acts 2003 (80 G.A.) ch. 82, § 17.
581.3. Perfecting the lien--filing requirements
Except as provided in this section, a financing statement filed to perfect a veterinarian's lien shall be governed by chapter 554, article 9, part 5, in the same manner as any other financing statement.
1. The lien becomes effective at the time that the veterinarian treats the livestock.
2. In order to perfect the lien, the veterinarian must file a financing statement in the office of the secretary of state as provided in section 554.9308 within sixty days after the day that the veterinarian treats the livestock. The financing statement shall meet the requirements of section 554.9502, subsection 1, and include all applicable information described in section 554.9516. Filing a financing statement as provided in this subsection satisfies all requirements for perfection of an agricultural lien as provided in chapter 554, article 9.
Amended by Acts 1959 (58 G.A.) ch. 346, § 2; Acts 2003 (80 G.A.) ch. 82, § 18.
A veterinarian may enforce a veterinarian's lien in the manner provided for agricultural liens pursuant to the uniform commercial code, chapter 554, article 9, part 6.
Amended by Acts 2003 (80 G.A.) ch. 82, § 19.