It is unlawful to keep, harbor, own or possess any pit bull dog in Somerset Wisconsin, with exceptions for dogs registered prior to the effective date of the pit bull ban. Such dogs are subject to certain requirements, such as proper confinement or the use of a leash and muzzle, posting “Beware of Dog” signs, and keeping $50,000 liability insurance. Puppies born to such dogs must be removed from the city after 6 weeks.
Sec. 7-1-9. Wild, exotic and dangerous animals; pit bull dogs.
(a) Keeping of Animals Prohibited. It shall be unlawful to keep, harbor, own or in any way possess within the corporate limits of the Village of Somerset:
(1) Any warm-blooded, carnivorous or omnivorous, wild or exotic animal including but not limited to non-human primates, raccoons, skunks, foxes and wild and exotic cats.
(2) Any animal having poisonous bites.
(3) Any pit bull dog provided that pit bull dogs registered with the Village on the day this Section becomes effective may be kept within the Village subject to the standards and requirements set forth in Subsection (b) of this Section. "Pit bull dog" as that term is used in this Section is defined to mean:
a. The Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
b. The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
c. The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
d. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or a combination of any of these breeds.
(b) Keeping of Registered Pit Bulls. The provisions of Subsection (a) are not applicable to owners, keepers or harbors of pit bull dogs registered with the Village of Somerset keeping, owning or harboring of such dogs is however subject to the following conditions:
(1) Leash and Muzzle. No person shall permit a registered pit bull dog to go outside its kennel or pen unless such dog is securely leashed with a leash no longer than four (4) feet in length. No person shall permit a pit bull dog to be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash outside its kennel or pen unless a person is in physical control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees, posts, buildings, etc. In addition, all pit bull dogs on a leash outside the animal's kennel or pen must be muzzled by a muzzling device sufficient to prevent such dog from biting persons or other animals.
(2) Confinement. All registered pit bull dogs shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or kennel except when leashed and muzzled as provided in Subsection (b)(1). All pens or kennels shall comply with all zoning and building regulations of the Village and shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
(3) Confinement Indoors. No pit bull dog may be kept on a porch, patio or in any part of a hours or structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on its own volition.
(4) Signs. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered pit bull dogs within the Village shall within ten (10) days of the effective date of this Section display in a prominent place on their premises a sign easily readable by the public using the words "Beware of Dog". In addition, a similar sign is required to be posted on the kennel or pen of such animal.
(5) Insurance. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered pit bull dogs must within thirty (30) days of the effective date of this Section provide proof to the Clerk-Treasurer of public liability insurance in a single incident amount of Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000) for bodily injury to or death of any person or persons or for damage to property owned by any persons which may result from the ownership, keeping or maintenance of such animal. Such insurance policy shall provide that no cancellation of the policy will be made unless ten (10) days written notice is first given to the Clerk-Treasurer.
(6) Registration. All owners, keepers or harborers of pit bull dogs shall within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this Section register said dog with the Village by filing with the Clerk-Treasurer two (2) color photographs of the dog clearly showing the color and approximate size of the dog.
(7) Reporting Requirements. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered pit bull dogs must within ten (10) days of the incident, report the following information in writing to the Clerk-Treasurer:
a. The removal from the Village or death of a registered pit bull;
b. The birth of offspring of a registered pit bull dog;
c. The new address of a registered pit bull dog should the dog be moved within the Village of Somerset.
d. If the registered pit bull dog is sold, the name and address of the new owner.
(8) Animals Born of Registered Dogs. All offspring born of pit bull dogs registered within the Village must be removed from the Village within six (6) weeks after the birth of said animal.
(9) Failure to Comply. It shall be unlawful for the owner, keeper or harborer of a pit bull dog registered with the Village to fail to comply with the requirements and conditions set forth in this Section.