It is unlawful to keep, harbor, own or possess any pit bull dog in Juneau, Wisconsin, with an exception for pit bulls registered on the day the ordinance became effective. Such dogs may be kept within the city subject to certain requirements, such as proper confinement, the use of a leash and muzzle, the posting of "Beware of Dog" signs, and the maintenance of $50,000 liability insurance for personal injury caused by a pit bull.
6.04.090 Pit bulls and other dangerous animals.
A. Keeping of Dangerous Animals Prohibited. It is unlawful to keep, harbor, own or in any way possess within the corporate limits of the City of Juneau:
1. Any wild or exotic animal including but not limited to nonhuman primates, raccoons, skunks, foxes and wild and exotic cats;
2. Any animal having poisonous bites;
3. Any pit bull dog except that pit bull dogs registered with the city on the day the ordinance codified in this chapter becomes effective may be kept within the city subject to the standards and requirements set forth in subsection B of this section. "Pit bull dog" as that term is used in this section is defined to mean:
a. The Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
b. The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
c. The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
d. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominately of the breeds of Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or a combination of any of these breeds.
B. Keeping of Registered Pit Bulls. The provisions of subsection A of this section are not applicable to owners, keepers or harborers of pit bull dogs registered with the City of Juneau on the first date the ordinance codified in this chapter becomes effective. Keeping, owning or harboring of such dogs is, however, subject to the following conditions:
1. Leash and Muzzle. No person shall permit a registered pit bull dog to go outside its kennel or pen unless such dog is securely leashed with a leash no longer than four feet in length. No person shall permit a pit bull dog to be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash outside its kennel or pen unless a person is in physical control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees, posts, buildings, etc. In addition, all pit bull dogs on a leash outside the animal's kennel or pen must be muzzled by a muzzling device sufficient to prevent such dog from biting persons or other animals.
2. Confinement. All registered pit bull dogs shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or kennel except when leashed and muzzled as provided in subsection (B)(1) of this section. All pens or kennels shall comply with all zoning and building regulations of the city and shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
3. Confinement Indoors. No pit bull dog may be kept on a porch, patio or in any part of a house or structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on its own volition.
4. Signs. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered pit bull dogs within the city shall within ten days of the effective date of the ordinance codified in this chapter display in a prominent place on their premises a sign easily readable by the public using the words "Beware of Dog." In addition, a similar sign is required to be posted on the kennel or pen of such animal.
5. Insurance. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered pit bull dogs must within thirty (30) days of the effective date of the ordinance codified in this chapter provide proof to the city clerk-treasurer of public liability insurance in a single incident amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00) for bodily injury to or death of any person or persons or for damage to property owned by any persons which may result from the ownership, keeping or maintenance of such animal. Such insurance policy shall provide that no cancellation of the policy will be made unless ten days written notice is first given to the city clerk-treasurer.
6. Registration. All owners, keepers or harborers of pit bull dogs shall within thirty (30) days after the effective date of the ordinance codified in this chapter register such dog with the city by filing with the city clerk-treasurer two color photographs of the dog clearly showing the color and approximate size of the dog.
7. Reporting Requirements. All owners, keepers or harborers of registered pit bull dogs must within ten days of the incident, report the following information in writing to the city clerk-treasurer:
a. The removal from the city or death of a registered pit bull;
b. The birth of offspring of a registered pit bull dog;
c. The new address of a registered pit bull dog should the dog be moved within the City of Juneau;
d. If the registered pit bull dog is sold, the name and address of the new owner.
8. Animals Born of Registered Dogs. All offspring born of pit bull dogs registered within the city must be removed from the city within six weeks after the birth of such animal.
9. Failure to Comply. It is unlawful for the owner, keeper or harborer of a pit bull dog registered with the city to fail to comply with the requirements and conditions set forth in this section.
(Ord. 25-2000 (part))