Rule 308. Rules Governing the Humane Treatment of Animals
III. Rules Governing the Sale of Dogs and Cats
2–4–308:III–1 . Statutory Authority
2–4–308:III–2 . Definitions
2–4–308:III–3 . Pet Dealer Required to Provide Information
These rules are promulgated pursuant to 20 V.S.A., Chapter 199, section 4302.
As used in this rule:
A. Animal- means a dog or cat.
B. Consumer- means an individual who purchases an animal from any licensee or registrant under 20 V.S.A. chapter 194. A licensee or registrant under this rule is not a consumer.
C. Pet Dealer- means any person, firm, partnership or corporation, or a representative or agent, who engages in the sale of more than one litter of animals per year or two or more animals over six months of age to consumers for monetary consideration. Breeders of animals who sell animals to the public are included in this definition; except that duly incorporated humane societies or animal shelters which make animals available for adoption are exempt. Pet Dealers licensed under the Animal Welfare Act are included in this definition.
D. Litter - All the puppies or kittens born to a female dog or cat at one birth. For the purpose of this rule the sale of one puppy or kitten from a litter constitutes the sale of a litter.
Any pet dealer who sells an animal shall provide the consumer with the following forms and laws.
A. Consumer Right-to-Know Form containing:
1) A description of the animal, including the breed, if known.
2) The medical history of the animal, if known, including any vaccinations administered to the animal and the results of any fecal exams;
3) The date of purchase;
4) The purchase price;
5) The name, address and telephone number of both the pet dealer and the consumer;
6) The pet dealer's signature certifying the contents of the document.
7) The purchasers signature certifying receipt of the document.
B. Dog or Cat Request for Restitution Form including:
1. Description of animal, including the breed, if known:
4. Date Purchased: Name of pet dealer and address:
5. Date and signature of the owner certifying that the information in 1, 2, 3 and 4 above is accurate to the best of their knowledge.
6. Date of Examination: Name and address of examining veterinarian.
9. Estimated Cost:
10. Signature of the veterinarian certifying that the information in 6, 7, 8 and 9 is accurate to the best of his/her knowledge.
C. Copy of 20 V.S.A. Chapter 199 Section 4302(a), (e) and Sections 4303 must be attached to Dog or Cat Request for Restitution Form.
D. Copy of applicable state rabies and licensing laws. These copies must be attached to Consumer Right-to-Know Reporting Form.
Adopted July 1, 1991.