61-25. Retail Food Establishments. [Edited for relevant provisions]
Statutory Authority: 1976 Code Sections 44-1-140(2), 44-1-150, and 44-1-180
* * *
9-3 OUTDOOR PET DINING
This standard shall apply to outdoor dining areas where table service of food is provided and shall not apply to customer pick up take out service with picnic type dining areas that may be provided by a retail food establishment
A pet is defined as domesticated cats, dogs, and ferrets.
(1) A retail food service establishment may allow customers to be accompanied by pets in an outdoor dining area provided the retail food service establishment complies with the requirements of this section and all other applicable sections of this regulation.
(2) Pets at retail food establishments shall also comply with the South Carolina Rabies Control Act Section 47-5-60.
Employees shall wash hands after any contact with pets, pet supplies, and pet waste.
(1) All tableware used for the pets shall be restricted to single-service or single-use articles.
(2) Tables and chairs located in the outdoor pet dining area shall be easily cleanable.
(3) Cleaning supplies and sanitizers shall be provided and stored in the outdoor pet dining area. These items shall be exclusively used for outdoor pet dining purposes only and stored outside.
(4) Cleaning equipment necessary for the removal of pet waste shall be provided. These items shall be exclusively used for outdoor pet dining purposes only and stored outside.
(5) Pet waste shall be removed immediately and the area shall be cleaned and sanitized.
(6) A covered refuse container shall be located in the outdoor pet dining area and shall be used exclusively to store all pet waste generated by the outdoor pet dining area.
(1) The retail food establishment shall post signs at the entrance of all dining areas stating the facility is pet dining friendly and has an outdoor pet dining area.
(2) The retail food establishment shall post signs stating pets are only allowed in the outdoor pet dining area.
(3) Outdoor pet dining areas shall have an outside entrance.
(4) Pets shall be restricted to the outdoor pet dining area and shall not be allowed in the retail food establishment.
(5) All pets shall be restrained and under control of the owners.
(6) No pets are allowed on a table, countertop, or any other food contact surfaces within the outdoor pet dining area.
(1) Retail food establishments that have pets on the premises and do not comply with this standard shall be cited for violations under Sections 2-403.11 and 6-501.115 as applicable.
(2) This standard shall not apply to service animals in outdoor or indoor dining areas.
* * *
HISTORY: Amended by State Register Volume 19, Issue No. 6, eff June 23, 1995; State Register Volume 38, Issue No. 6, Doc. No. 4424, eff June 27, 2014; State Register Volume 39, Issue No. 4, Doc. No. 4424, eff April 24, 2015 (errata). . Amended by SCSR43-5 Doc. No. 4842, eff May 24, 2019.
Current through State Register Volume 43, Issue 6, eff June 28, 2019.