Authority: IC 14-22-2-6; IC 14-22-32-6
Affected: IC 14-8-2-278; IC 14-22-20; IC 15-17-5
Sec. 18.5. (a) An individual must not take, as defined by IC 14-8-2-278, an exotic mammal that is a species from any of the following families of mammals:
(1) Bradypodidae (tree sloth).
(2) Camelidae (camel and llama).
(3) Canidae (jackal, wild dog, and other exotic foxes).
(4) Cebidae (marmoset).
(5) Cercopithecidae (baboon and monkey).
(6) Dasypodidae (armadillo).
(7) Elephantidae (elephant).
(8) Equidae (wild horse and zebra), except for domestic horses.
(9) Felidae (mountain lion, lynx, tiger, and other exotic cats).
(10) Giraffidae (giraffe and okapi).
(11) Hippopotamidae (hippopotamus).
(12) Hyaenidae (hyaena).
(13) Macropodidae (kangaroo and wallaby).
(14) Myrmecophagidae (anteater).
(15) Orycteropodidae (aardvark).
(16) Pongidae (chimpanzee, bonobo, and gorilla).
(17) Procaviidae (hyrax).
(18) Protelidae (aardwolf).
(19) Rhinocerotidae (rhinoceros).
(20) Tapiridae (tapir).
(21) Tragulidae (chevrotain).
(22) Ursidae (bear), except for black bears.
(23) A hybrid or genetically altered mammal of any of these families.
Exempted from this section are the following species of mammals that are not considered to be exotic mammals: bobcat, red fox, gray fox, and coyote.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), an individual may take an exotic mammal only if the exotic mammal is:
(1) taken by a resident landowner or tenant while destroying or causing substantial damage to property that is owned or leased by the landowner or tenant;
(2) a species from the family camelidae and slaughtered in accordance with IC 15-17-5; or
(3) an animal that has escaped from captivity into the wild and is a known immediate threat to:
(A) public safety; or
(B) the health of wild animals.
(Natural Resources Commission; 312 IAC 9-3-18.5; filed May 12, 2006, 10:38 a.m.: 29 IR 3346; readopted filed Nov 24, 2008, 11:08 a.m.: 20081210-IR-312080672RFA; filed Dec 10, 2010, 10:36 a.m.: 20110105-IR-312100104FRA; readopted filed May 20, 2014, 9:43 a.m.: 20140618-IR-312140017RFA; filed Jun 21, 2018, 1:45 p.m.: 20180718-IR-312170436FRA; readopted filed Sep 18, 2019, 1:16 p.m.: 20191016-IR-312190325RFA)