This Alabama regulation provides that no person shall possess, sell, offer for sale, import, or bring into the state any of the listed species including piranha, mongoose, non-native coyote, fox, black bear, and others. Another section provides that no person shall propagate or release any nutria in the state. It is also unlawful for any person to have in possession any live, protected wild bird or wild animal or live embryo, eggs, or sperm of these protected wild birds or animals.
(1) No person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association shall possess, sell, offer for sale, import, bring, release or cause to be brought or imported into the State of Alabama any of the following live fish or animals:
Any Walking Catfish or any other fish of the genus Clarias;
Any Piranha or any fish of the genus Serrasalmus;
Any Black Carp of the genus Mylopharyngodon;
Any species of sturgeon not native to Alabama;
Any species of Chinese perch (Siniperca spp.);
Any species of Snakehead fish (Channa spp.);
Any species of Mud carp (Cirrhinus spp.);
Blue back herring (Alsoa aestivalis);
Any species of fish “rudd” (Scardinius erythrophthalmus) or “roach” (Rutilus rutilus) or any hybrids of either species;
Any species of nonindigenous venomous reptile;
Any species of Mongoose;
San Juan Rabbits, Jack Rabbits or any other species of wild rabbit or hare; or
Any of the following from any area outside the state of Alabama; any member of the family Cervidae (to include but not be limited to deer, elk, moose, caribou), species of coyote, species of fox, species of raccoon, species of skunk, wild rodent, or strain of wild turkey, black bear (Ursus americanus), mountain lion (Felis concolor), bobcat (Felis rufus), Pronghorn Antelope (Antelocapridae), any nondomestic member of the families Suidae (pigs), Tayassuidae (peccaries), or Bovidae (except bison).
No person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association, shall transport within the state, any member of the above-stated species (whether such member originated within or without the state), except for properly licensed game-breeders pursuant toSection 9-11-31, Code of Ala. 1975, or persons engaged in the interstate transport of any of the above-stated species through the state who are otherwise specifically authorized by permit of the Director of the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries or his designee.
(2) It shall be unlawful to release any tame turkey, or any other turkey, whether wild or tame, into any of the wild areas of this State.
The provisions of this regulation shall not apply to any turkeys kept by any farmer or landowner of this State for normal agricultural purposes or for personal consumption.
(3) Nutria shall not be propagated or released in this State. No person, firm or corporation shall release any Nutria from captivity in this State or propagate any Nutria for the purpose of stocking in the wild of this State.
(4) All species of sturgeon are hereby declared to be protected fish within this State and any person who shall catch a sturgeon shall immediately return it to the waters from whence it came with the least possible harm.
(5) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, sell, offer for sale, import, or release any non-indigenous venomous reptile in or into the State of Alabama
(6) Except as authorized by permit issued by the Department prior to the date of this amendment, it shall be unlawful for any person to have in possession any live, protected wild bird or wild animal or live embryo or eggs of these protected wild birds or animals. “Possession” in this section does not include deer restricted by natural or man made barriers as long as the deer remain wild and are not subject to management practices of domesticated animals.
(7) The provisions of this regulation shall not apply to the exceptions provided for in Section 9-2-13(b), Code of Ala. 1975. Accredited educational, research, and rehabilitation facilities shall be exempt from this regulation through the written permission of the Director of the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries or his designee.
N. Gunter Guy, Jr.
Code of Ala. 1975, §§9-2-7, 9-2-8, 9-2-12.
Filed September 30, 1982. Amended: January 17, 1985; September 27, 1990; January 18, 1991. Amended: Filed September 13, 1994; effective October 19, 1994. Amended: Filed September 13, 1995; effective October 19, 1995. Amended: Filed August 11, 1998; September 16, 1998. Amended: Filed January 14, 1999; effective February 18, 1999. Amended: Filed September 13, 1999; effective October 18, 1999. Amended: Filed August 10, 2000; effective September 14, 2000. Amended:Filed June 19, 2001; effective July 24, 2001. Amended: Filed July 29, 2002; effective September 2, 2002. Amended: Filed October 18, 2005; effective November 22, 2005. Amended: Filed May 13, 2009; effective June 17, 2009. Amended: Filed August 15, 2012; effective September 19, 2012. Amended: Filed December 30, 2013; effective February 3, 2014.
PENALTY: As provided by law.