Ordinance Text in Full:
(a) "Pit bull dog" is defined to mean:
(1) The bull terrier breed of dog;
(2) Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
(3) The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
(4) The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
(5) A dog of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as a pit bull dog or pit bull terrier;
(6) Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breed of bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, any other breed commonly known as pit bull, pit bull dog or pit bull terrier, or a combination of any of these breeds.
Owner is defined to include someone who keeps or harbors a pit bull dog.
(b) It shall be unlawful, and punishable under section 1-8 of the Minot Code of Ordinances, to harbor, own or in any way keep or possess within the corporate city limits of Minot, North Dakota, any pit bull dog as described in this section. When the animal control officer has knowledge of a possible violation of this section, the animal control officer shall cause the matter to be investigated. If after investigation there are reasonable grounds to believe there has been a violation of this section, the animal control officer shall cite the owner or keeper. The owner or keeper shall remove the dog from the city within twenty-four (24) hours of the service of the citation and shall not cause the dog to be returned to the city unless there is a final court decision in his or her favor. If the dog is not so removed, the police department shall seize and impound the dog, either with the consent of the owner of the property where the dog is located or by search warrant, until a final court decision. The owner or keeper of the pit bull dog will be responsible for the costs of impoundment. If the dog is determined to be a pit bull, it shall be destroyed, unless the owner produces evidence deemed sufficient by the court that the pit bull is to be permanently removed from the city and the owner pays the cost of impoundment. Costs of impoundment, if not paid, shall be assessed against the real property of the owner or keeper of the pit bull.
(Ord. No. 2844, § 1; Ord. No. 4162, § 2)
Editor's note— Ord. No. 2844, § 1, adopted Aug. 3, 1987, amended the Code by enacting provisions to be included as § 7-33. Inasmuch as a previous ordinance designated provisions as such, the provisions of Ord. No. 2844 have been numbered as § 7-34