In Maquoketa, Iowa, it is is unlawful to keep, maintain or have in his possession or under his control any pit bull terrier dogs, mixed pit bull terriers, or any dog that has the appearance and characteristics of being a pit bull terrier.
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or have in his possession or under his control within the City any poisonous reptile or any other dangerous or carnivorous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous domesticated animal or any other animal or reptile of wild, vicious or dangerous propensities.It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or have in his possession or under his control within the City any of the following animals:
1. All poisonous animals including rear-fang snakes.
2. Apes: Chimpanzees (Pan); gibbons (Hylobates); gorillas (Gorilla); orangutans (Pongo); and siamangs (Symphalangus).
3. Baboons (Papoi, Mandrillus).
4. Bears (Ursidae).
5. Bison (Bison).
6. Cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus).
7. Crocodilians (Crocodilia), thirty (30) inches in length or more.
8. Constrictor snakes, six (6) feet in length or more.
9. Coyotes (Canis latrans).
10. Deer (Cervidae); includes all members of the deer family, for example, white-tailed deer, elk, antelope, and moose.
11. Elephants (Elephas and Loxodonta).
12. Game cocks and other fighting birds.
13. Hippopotami (Hippopotamidae).
14. Hyenas (Hyaenidae).
15. Jaguars (Panthera onca).
16. Leopards (Panthera pardus).
17. Lions (Panthera leo).
18. Lynxes (Lynx).
19. Monkeys, old world (Cercopithecidae).
20. Ostriches (Struthio).
21. Piranha fish (Characidae).
22. Pit bull terrier dogs, or mixed pit bull terriers, or any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being a pit bull terrier.
23. Pumas (Felis concolor); also known as cougars, mountain lions and panthers.
24. Rhinoceroses (Rhinocerotidae).
25. Sharks (class Chondrichthyes).
26. Snow leopards (Panthera uncia).
27. Swine (Suidae).
28. Tigers (Panthera tigris).
29. Wolves (Canis lupus).
The provisions of this Section shall not apply to licensed pet shops, menageries, zoological gardens and circuses, if:
1. Their location conforms to the provisions of the zoning ordinances of the City.
2. All animals and animal quarters are kept in a clean and sanitary condition and so maintained as to eliminate objectionable odors.
3. Animals are maintained in quarters so constructed as to prevent their escape.
4. No person lives or resides within one hundred (100) feet of the quarters in which the animals are kept.