Animal Law in Australia
NEW! Topic Areas Added in 2013:
Australia Live Export of Animals by Jordan Sosnowski (2013).
Australia Kangaroo Culling by Jordan Sosnowski (2013).
Australia Animal Protection Law Journal:
- Volume 3 of the Animal Protection Law Journal (2009).
- Volume 2 of the Animal Protection Law Journal (2009).
- Volume 1 of the Animal Protection Law Journal (2008).
1. A 2009 report by Voiceless of Australia - Animal Law Toolkit.
2. A (2006) paper by Siobhan O'Sullivan - Animal Research Policy, Public Perceptions, and the Problems of Transparency.
3. For an introduction to the structure of animal law in Australia see (2004) paper by Katrina Sharman.
For a summary of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act of 1979 (New South Wales), click here. The associated regulations including Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 1996 and the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Animal Trades) Regulation 1996 are also available.
4. Table of Australia Cases
Significant cases from Australia:
5. Table of Australia Laws
Sample of regional statutes.
As in the US, most animal laws in Australia are at the state level. As a sample the following laws are provided from Queensland.